Sunday, August 10, 2014

Words on Words on Words


I walked past a shop basement 
barricaded by the NYPD,
where 3 policemen 
and their singular suspect shot one another
in the supposed safety of the West Village,
just around the corner from my first home
on Bleecker and Christopher streets. 

Descending into madness, 
I stand in the swirling remnants
of whispered nothings that seem so very much.
"I'm not thinking,"
and overhead an automated man asking the train 
to "stand up for what's right," 
while the pregnant
woman is kept standing,
hoping today of all days
in the sea of clammy humanity 
someone might cut her a break.

"I'm gonna let it shine,"
and someone threatened to throw
him off the train as another man
talked around and over - 
"move over, move over,
I know you can hear me" -
a young blond man
whose headphones 
and consequent deafness
were apparently très displeasing.

"oh my god, a lot" and 
"when you gonna take it off,"
and a plea, "let me out," 
an angry admonition to "hold on tight,"
I like to be immersed in words on words on words,
"you don't know why, don't say you don't know why,
of course you know why, I cried, and you didn't even care"
circles and circles and circles,
there's nothing like not taking a cab
and sitting in a puddle of human exclamations,
excretions, pore numbing dirt, and intense temperaments

Switch to the 6 to discover the next round
of stuck, not-even-close to whispers
that will be lost to the stifled air.

No comments:

Post a Comment