Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Half Naked

in a camp shower 
in a community bathroom
i placed on the floor a canvas sack of clothes, 
the bag emblazoned with the space needle encircled, 
the pile topped by that jean dress I like so much, 
(a mixture of 2013 and 1999 -
a remnant of greek goddesses and middle school)
but i couldn't get clean enough 
to wear it.

Half naked, I discovered to my horror
that I had left my purse elsewhere, 
and leaving the shower
emerged into a room 
of whirring sounds and whack-a-mole games, 
but I couldn't retrace my steps, 
stopping at showers that hadn't existed, 
finding that the slab of leather containing all of 
the documentation 
that identified me 
was lost, 
not to be found 
even by the three people 
willing to help me look 
while I continued 
to try
to get clean.

glancing into a room that was and wasn't mine,
i discovered i had a strange man in my life,
a designer who changed things and created space,
a man who wasn't quite right and
suddenly another who - who knew? - 
was posing as a dog (a red border collie) 
who turned back into the boy 
who i had had too many vodka gimlets with,
angry I had exposed him before he could expose me
and he had a copy 
of my GRE essay 
from the first time,
which was the only helpful thing
he had discovered about me. 

sprinting barefoot through the snow,
the wind at my back in the dark,
cleansed by the biting cold but
free from impending frostbite 
(because we have that freedom in dreams),
i looked into the lights on a familiar lake
and knew 
that i was running toward not away
pushed by a loss 
but not ruined by anxiety.

No comments:

Post a Comment