Saturday, August 31, 2013

And my hands

Possessed 
by a deep-rooted fear,
the seconds turn into minutes and tick away, 
drifting through my fingers 
like sand 
into a quickly accumulated pile 
of lost time 
that cannot be sorted through, 
no way to retrieve 
even one

And

my carefully constructed plan 
cracks 
and little pieces 
of glass collect
at my feet as I run, 
cutting deeper and deeper 
and I can't do it, 
I can't find the train, the car, the hotel, 
I'm stuck 
riding to the wrong part of Connecticut, 
driving on an old highway through Ann Arbor, 
jumping a turnstile in Paris
because I don't have enough money 
to get all the way to the outskirts 
because it's not a normal metro price

And

I'm drenched in sweat 
in my little dress 
with now drooping polka dots, 
running circles around Washington Square Park 
looking for a building 
tucked away 
from the normal eye
housing people like me who aren't lost
and are waiting for me 
if only I can catch my breath
and calm my shaking hands, 
my body weakened by the effort 
to get it right

And

I find solace in people 
willing to help, 
who encourage me to run like the wind 
to the next escalator 
that will take me a floor down 
to people with the answers, 
but even they doubt themselves 
and I have to hope and trust 
that my fear is misplaced, 
my anxiety all wrong, 
there is nothing to worry over 
because even if I miss the train
I can go home and those who love me 
will continue to love me, 
even the one disappointed 
by my anxiety, 
and I am safe, 
and all is well

And

my hands won't stop shaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment