Sunday, December 8, 2013

Eddie Money

$12: enter a grimy back room
$8: two tiny cranberry vodkas
$4: check your winter coats 
$2: tip jar
then we bathe 
in the pulsating lights
that transport us to the 80s
where Eddie Money
echoes the sentiments 
rolling through our bodies, 
(anticipation is running through me)
then a phone call, too much booze,   
something happens that ruins the fantasy
(I don’t want to let you go) 
and we re-emerge into the freezing air,
and kiss against a chain link fence on Ave B, 
(I can feel you breathe)
until I am suddenly faced 
with emptiness and a dead end
(I get frightened in all this darkness) 
baited and switched
for a pretend
version of myself,
trapped in a corner, called crazy,
searching, waiting, wanting,
(I get nightmares)
please, just take me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment