Friday, November 29, 2013

Chaos to Couture

Hello, are you there?
I'm waiting, standing
in the middle of a room
surrounded by mannequins
with orange hair wearing slashed cotton
reattached with safety pins,
and Patti Smith's Horses is playing
and the lights have dimmed
to reveal, written in washable marker 
on the esteemed walls - 
the kind of marker you were allowed
to use as a kid just in case you wrote
on yourself, on the floor, on your bed -
a specter of a revolution, it read,
"Punk is about revolting," 
and I ditched a pink stilleto,
"revolting against a society"
and I stretched my toes,
"against a society that doesn't"
and the security guard eyed me, 
"a society that doesn't think you deserve,"
and told me to put my shoes back on
"doesn't think you deserve a revolution,"
and I walked into a long hallway where
placed on pedestals were row upon row
of the now quintessential little black dresses
claiming to be the beginning of retro,
and I stretched onto the balls of my feet
and extended myself through the space
until under duress,
I sat in the silence and
placed one shoe back on, and then another,
and bathed in the fading glow
of a an era that had once decreed its independence,
but was now being declared useless
and ending its revolt.

No comments:

Post a Comment