Saturday, April 26, 2014

Penser

I think at first the silence will scare me
into wallowing in the has-beens
and yearning for wine on the rooftop
that flirts with the water
and poses a fantasy in a would-be train car
with battered curtains
where once Mayhem had brunch next to me
and a tiny turtle peed in a cardboard box,
(seemed rather hilarious
after 4 bloody marys).

I think at first the silence will scare me
into yearning for the 1 AM
ambulance sirens blipping
(they rock me to sleep)
to create a space up first avenue --
perhaps I will be taken aback
by the smell of grass
and the knowledge of warmth
that isn’t tainted by swirls of snow
and is kept at bay with a sweater
(how ridiculous to yearn for a siren).

And I think I will have to remember
that small talk doesn’t have to have an agenda
(it can be meant in total kindness)
and I think I might not miss, but will always worry
about the women wailing in the subway,
the one I try to help by keeping Kind bars in my purse
and the one arrested on the platform
barred from help by the man in a blue uniform
bearing the initials NYPD.

I think I will miss the 22-year-old
who moved to the West Village
in pursuit of a particular kind of life
that she had been told looked nice,
but so sadly discovered didn’t fit,
and I will miss this girl
who desperately loved
and still clings occasionally,
this woman who came of age
in the city that never sleeps,
rocked by sirens
and drunken screams.

I am searching for footholds
in a circle of niceties,
jagged lines of a cat scratch
connecting the dots,
I stand at 1 AM
in the living room that never
quite felt mine,
staring out paned glass doors
up first avenue
and I become a moving taxi
and if I look a certain way
I can move forever 
up that singular avenue
that becomes and stays
a ribbon of abyss…
or I can sleep
and dream of a town
that smells like grass
and enfolds me in the silence
filled with the noise of my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment