Wednesday, September 4, 2013

"Hello"

An undercurrent of voices 
courses through the apartment, 
drowned out by the running water 
that gargles their meaning.
Hundreds chime in, thrilled
to have a medium 
to convey the words they so want to impart,
"I love you, I miss you, find me, hello!, 
there you are, I knew you would come, 
I have been waiting."

Tears course down my cheeks 
as suddenly as my breath comes, 
Surprising, unconscious, unstoppable,
I put down the onion knife 
and know that these tears do not sting,
but are droplets of uninhibited joy; 
one of the voices has passed through me and he loves me, 
someone I miss daily, 
and he hums to me, "All that matters is happiness" 
and I put my palms out, 
asking for one more breath of "hello" 
before I know my grandfather in all but blood 
has rejoined the cascade of voices 
traveling to touch us ever so softly 
if only we can listen closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment