Thursday, November 7, 2013

I danced

I leaned away
and in the blink of an eye
I stepped off the edge
and tottered into a new idea.
I tipped into the thought
of choosing differently
and it was anything but easy
to walk directly away.

I’ve found, lately, that
even weaving through
the fake sidewalk that moves daily,
barriers erected
where previously there weren’t any,
even the fog horns
that startle me endlessly
and conversely promise safety,
even the cockroaches that leak out
of the second avenue construction
and barely last a hairsbreadth
before succumbing to a shoe,
even the underbelly details
bring me comfort
because I stepped away.

Sometimes I weave backward -
I hover on the surface of what once was
and play the game of what could have been.
But in the end I always find
that singing to a dog in a kitchen,
slashing paragraphs for the maybe of a future,
and sitting on a futon that plays at being comfortable
helps me straddle the middle of what was and what will be
because I chose to dance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment