Monday, November 25, 2013

May we?

Can we choose,
are we allowed
to walk this way,
talk this way,
dress this way –
are we, by necessity,
women
born into bodies
partially prized since birth
for the possibility
of the continuation
of the cyclical rhythm of female time,
the body as vessel that produces
the next generation
of women,
who produce the next
generation of women
who finally dare to ask,
Are we allowed to dress as a man?
Are we allowed to be feminine?
Are we allowed to love other women?
Are we allowed to love many men?
Are we allowed to become men,
(and what does being a man even mean?)
to physically alter the body that promises the future
because we feel our spirits chose
wrong this time around?
May we? Can we? 
Are we women?
(and what does being a woman even mean?)
May we take our bodies out of
the collective investment
in the future, symbolized
by the Child, who in turn
has been stripped of individuality
by those factions who would rather
paint the theory of innocence onto a canvas
as the women grasp the children
produced of their own blood
and desperately query,
May we?"

I am a walking contradiction,
retracing my steps,
looking backward to find my way forward,
deconstructing the paradigm,
to conversely find my niche within
the cultural construction of Woman
to become the body as vessel,
but I also will never stop
reaching across boundaries
to find the gray area
where we have always dwelt,
the middle ground between being a Woman
and becoming a woman, the in-between space
where individuality begins to surface,
and the, “May I?” becomes
“I can. I will. I am.”

No comments:

Post a Comment