Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fashion a Story


Help –
My name is ____
I’m
Tinkerbell?
No, I am gerbera daisy, a pink rose?
Surrounded by women in pantyhose,
green polka dots sprinkled on light pink…
Crap, it would seem I am
taunted by the gently-creaking swing set,
unwilling to live with the insistent witch-opera…

Apologies, I digress.
I met the Error of My Ways,
who laughed at me,
so I chose Anywhere,
leaving Nowhere behind,
carrying my body with me,
to the median on Broadway
across from the Flatiron building,
sipping a grande, iced, skinny vanilla latte.

There, I saw Robin who smiled at me, crookedly,
flitting away to perch in a Burch,
as a woman walked by me, muttering.

The woman was gone as I exhaled my breath,
forgetting that my eyes would disappear
before my toes followed suit
then my knees
my belly button
my –

fr
   ag
       ments.

I’m collecting parts
to fashion a story
that feels familiar.

Say, “Goodnight.”

No comments:

Post a Comment